Planning the Perfect Outdoor Experience
My husband and I have always loved being outdoors, and we want to pass this appreciation of nature on to our son. Hiking and camping are great bonding experiences and wonderful ways to make lasting memories.
Every autumn, we take a trip into the mountains to enjoy the crisp air, and we’ve been taking our son along ever since he was born. Spring is also a great time of year to enjoy outdoor activities — here are some tips to help your adventure go as smoothly as possible.
- Pack more than you think you’ll need. It’s always good to be prepared. There’s usually no convenient store nearby to pick up something you forgot. Check your list twice, and make sure to pack a little extra — especially baby wipes and water.
- Plan your meals. When meal planning, it’s best if you can prepare as much as you can ahead of time. Also keep in mind that the more you do in advance, the less you’ll have to do when everyone’s eager to get out the door. Sandwiches and wraps are healthy options for a camping trip, and ice chests are essential for keeping food safe to eat.
- Layer clothing. Since spring weather can be temperamental, be sure to layer your clothing to stay warm or cool for the duration of your trip.
- Be open to change. Not everything is going to go your way. Be flexible and open to the possibility that you may not be able to do all you had planned. Just in case, have contingency plans for additional activities for the entire family.
- S’mores. Just pack a lot of them. It’ll make everyone happier. Trust me.
- Conduct a trial run. If you’ve never been camping, I would highly recommend doing a trial run in your backyard before going off on a longer trip. It can be just as magical in your own yard, and it will ensure everyone can deal with sleeping outside.
With spring break and the end of the school year approaching, it’s the perfect time to plan a fun outdoor experience for you and your family. For more information about enjoying the great outdoors, check out this great article about Anticipating Camping by a fellow Land O’Moms blogger.